What is a Memory

Memory....is the diary that we all carry about with us. ~Oscar Wilde~

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Results...

Olivia had her hearing test yesterday. I do not know why they decided to schedule her appointment for 1 o'clock, which happens to be her nap time. She did pretty good but eventually got freaked out and cried for almost 20 minutes. It would have been great to have some help, but my husband decided he had to stay late and work...
Her results came back with a hearing of 25 db's which is right above the normal, well actually 25 db is the normal so she just made the cut off. The doctor is still concerned with that result. He thinks that it may be off slightly and that she has more damage to one ear than the other. He ordered two more tests to be done to ensure that we are not missing anything.
The audiologist said to keep working with her on speech therapy and stick it out. I decided, based on what he said, to re-examine how much time I am spending with her on speech therapy during the week. We go once a week to the speech therapist, but I do speech therapy at home with her the rest of the time. I have realized that I do not think I am doing as much as I could be. So I started timing our time that we spend doing it in the morning...it turned out to be 14 minutes before I wanted to get up and do something else. So I stuck it out for about 25 minutes, because it is supposed to be 30 minutes. Before I finally turned on her Baby Einstein movie that she loves.... I have also decided that Olivia needs a little more direction in the form of consistency and then freedom in the way of needing to ask for things. It is hard when you have an only child, you can quickly and easily give them what they want without them having to ask for it. So I am going to work with her on showing me what she wants and showing her how to ask for it. (more than I was before)
I hope that a re-examination of what I thought I was doing compared to what I was actually doing will help Olivia get more out of our time together. We will see.....

0 comments:

The soul is healed by being with children. ~Fyodor Dostoevsky~

The soul is healed by being with children. ~Fyodor Dostoevsky~

Family....

When you look at your life, the greatest happinnesses are family happinesses. ~Joyce Brothers~

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~Confucius

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.  ~Confucius

Stay a child while you can be a child. ~Stephen Sondheim~

Stay a child while you can be a child. ~Stephen Sondheim~

Fairness....

The great advantage of living in a large family is that early lesson of life's essential unfairness. ~Nancy Mitford~

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP